Saturday, October 9

You grabbed my heart and squeezed it.





Note:

I have this bad habit habit of not finishing what I started. This draft was made by me months ago, and I still haven't finished it!

I'm in the middle of my review and I just felt like I wanted to blog something and this is what I found. I actually made a draft of this entire article in one of my journals, which isn't at hand right now. And I just know it would be time-consuming to think up of a description for every one of these books. Plus, I've read books that I want to add on this list since the day I made this draft. For now, all I can give is this list, and the description for A Walk to Remember.

Weeks ago, I said I'd make a list of books that affected my life or those I can never forget. I also thought I'd make a review of every one of those books. After reviewing the books I've read, I found a pitiable list. Looks like my reading life has mostly composed of romances, children's books, and books i breezed through just to pass the time.

But then, the list that I DO have, may be the books that I have needed all along. A person may read only one book and it'd be the sole turning point of one's life.

Generally, almost all the books I have read did affect my life. Because the words I read influence me.

I made two separate lists: (1) Books that I can never forget and (2) Books that made me cry.How can I say that a book affected my LIFE? It was much easier to list down those books that made me cry. There were a few of them.  And it was easier to list down books that had an unforgettable attachment to me.

Books that easily come to mind for the 1st list are:
  • The first books I owned: a book about Sesame Street and another whose title I forgot
  • Bobbsey Twins adventures
  • Pride of the Peacock by Victoria Holt
  • The Thief of Always by Clive Barker
  • The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
  • Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabteh Phillips
  • A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
  • The Alchemist
  • What to do until love finds you by Michelle McKinney-Hammond
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Ripples of Joy compiled by Cheryl Kirking
Out of those I can only surely say that the book I listed last affected my life. Hmmm...more of that later.

Books that grabbed my heart, squeezed it, and made tears pour out of me:

  • A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
  • Ain't She Sweet? by Susan Elizabteh Phillips
  • Border Music by Robert James Waller
  • The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Ripples of Joy compiled by Cheryl Kirking
  The last two especially ripped my heart out.


Walk to Remember grabbed my heart when Langdon gave his savings to Jamie's cause anonymously. I was teary-eyed when Langdon said, when he looked at Jamie beneath the Xmas tree, he realized he had fallen in love with her without knowing it. And then continued to pour after reading the last word. Haha..cheezy..I know...I was 14(?)...and Sparks did a good job in writing it. I've read Walk about 6 times, I think. I still feel a tug at my heart when I do.



(to be continued).


No comments:

Post a Comment

hi! i really appreciate comments.