Sunday, March 13

These Men Pt. 2

I have got to stop falling for redeemed psycho killers. In reality, I am not attracted to these guys. But on the big screen, they seem so endearing. First, there's Cillian Murphy. He played the psycho doctor in Batman Begins. And I loved him after I saw him in Inception. And...

Let's just start from the beginning.

I was intrigued by these photos:
(above quote, by John Keats himself)

I found out they were from a movie called "Bright Star", a film about the romance of the poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne. I knew the guy was familiar. I saw him once in a film. I vaguely remember him playing someone who was insane, if not retarded. The actor was Ben Whishaw, an Englishman, who, from his bio, is proclaimed by critics to be one of the greatest young actors of his generation. And the film that I first saw him in was Perfume:  The Story of a Murderer. See, I was right! He did play someone who was somewhat retarded AND insane!

In budding fangirl fashion, I googled him. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0924210/

And I had a few realizations:

One, that this is the second actor that got me really interested who had (1) Once played a psychopath, and (2) got me intrigued on the second film I watched that they starred in.

Second, that they are both brilliant actors who live in Great Britain, that act for the pleasure of acting, and they love the simple life. I adore them for that.

So what is up with redeemed psychopaths? Is it because they played the psychokiller character so well that they managed to both attract and repulse me? If they can play it so well, then that must be a benchmark of how good actors they are.


Ben Whishaw has sparked my interest, and I'm sure to look out for him in the future.

Sidenote: I don't like poetry that much, but reading about John Keats' life, I could say that he was a true romantic. "I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion - I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more - I could be martyred for my religion - Love is my religion - I could die for that."

Read more:http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_keats.html#ixzz1GUELGxsa
Another actor that I like very much is Hugh Dancy. First saw him in Arthur as Tristan alongside Keira Knightly, and then as the prince in Ella Enchanted. I don't think he should be exploited just for his good looks because he's a pretty good actor too. I loved him in The Jane Austen Book Club. Such a hotty there.

And since we're talking about celebrity crushes, let's throw in James Marsden. I think he's one of Hollywood's most underrated actors. Maybe he's not getting the break that he needs. He was so good in Highway 69 (an ALMOST nonsense movie, but really had a great story). Then he was cast as Cyclops in the X-Men series, though why was he killed in such a way? No justice to Cyclops. Horrible, horrible movie.
He was adorable in 27 Dresses. He was splendid as Prince Edward in Enchanted. And he was the "saving grace" in the movie flop, The Box. He was also in Hairspray the movie and The Notebook. Point is, he's good in every role he portrays. When I watch his films, I don't see him. He becomes the character. I can't typecast him because he's different as Cyclops, he's different as Prince Edward, he's different as Eddie in 27 Dresses. One common thing though, is he is always charming. (And he;s a former Versace model? Cool.) I love you, James.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hi! i really appreciate comments.