Sunday, February 27

The Book Thief and Bookstores

Sometimes you read a book so special that you want to carry it around with you for months after you’ve finished just to stay near it.
THE BOOK THIEF, MARKUS ZUSAK.

That's what I felt with The Book Thief. 



I Am happy to finally be owning a copy of Markus Zusak's The Book Thief . I was surprised to find out that it belonged to the Young Adult Section. I mean, I always thought it was a novel, written in a different but beautiful way. I don't think it should be confined to YA. But, as I found out, Zusak is a YA writeer and I want to read more of his works!

I read The Book Thief last year, but this was first published 2006, and it was available in our bookstores only recently. It should've been available when it was first published. The problem is, bookstores here are never ahead of the market. They sell what has been tested and proven to be bestsellers. So too bad, other Zusak novels, you won't be available here until Markus Zusak has a book-turned-into-movie. :'(

Let me paint you a picture: The books on the bestsellers shelf, the one you immediately see when you enter the bookstore, are those books that have been turned to a movie, or have been endorsed by a very popular local celebrity, or is a vampire series. For example, Twilight is on the shelf, as well as The Percy Jackson series, and the Blue Blood series, and Nicholas Sparks novels, and Paulo Coehlo. Mostly nowadays I just see VAMPIRE SERIES, which make me sick. When will this obsession with vampires end? Really.

So the really good books are either unavailable or have very few copies of them left. Which is understandable because books are luxuries here.

I can't wait to finally be able to afford as many books as I want, and to live in a place where bookstores sell almost every book imaginable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hi! i really appreciate comments.